Friday, June 19, 2009

Stage 3: The Pupa


Raising butterflies is a lot harder than it sounds. At least that has been my experience these last few weeks. Since my last post I have managed to kill (for lack of a better word) all the caterpillars I have rescued but one! So there is still hope---I hope! Today, I bravely removed the pupa from the top of my kitchen blinds (where the caterpillar traveled to create his chrysalis) and transferred it to a stick like I have researched to do.

However, it was a lot harder than I thought. I had to tug at the silk thread it was hanging from and not squeez it at the same time. Oh, and also being careful to not drop it either! I quickly glued the tiny silk string to a piece of wood and let it hang. At first it kept swinging back and forth rather fast as if it was telling me it wasn't too happy with being relocated before it finally stopped.

At this point I am not sure if it will make it to Stage 4: The Adult Butterfly. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. Here are a couple of pictures of the pupa.

Stay tuned to see if it will emerge into the lovely Black Swallowtail or not.

P.S. Be sure to click on the picture if you want to see a close up view!





View #1








View #2

3 comments:

Naomi said...

That is so cool!

Jules said...

can you put a 24 hour web cam on it and stream it??? I can't stand knowing I'm going to miss it

Anonymous said...

ooh! yum! when will they be ready to eat some of them???