Monday, June 8, 2009

Garden Surprise

Yesterday we discovered we have some caterpillars. HOORAY! I have been anxiously awaiting them since we planted our milkweed and discovered it loaded with butterfly eggs. I was shocked to find the caterpillars on my parsley in my garden instead of the milkweed. I thought how on earth did they get there and not die as they moved locations! I have been researching on how to produce butterflies in my yard and this did not coincide with my findings. Well, I should say I assumed they were monarch caterpillars. Confused as to why they were on the parsley and not on the milkweed, I of course "googled" and quickly found out that they are not monarch, but black swallowtail caterpillars. Alex and I have recently spotted this butterfly in the yard the past week. Go figure!

We are super excited. Well, me mostly! Today, when I went to check up on them, a few of the little ones were "gone". So tonight, I rescued 4 tiny ones, to ensure the ants or wasps don't have a snack!

Be sure to check back for updates on their progress. The next stage is the pupa or also known as the chrysalis---the "transition stage".

Below is a picture of the largest caterpillar I found and also a stock photo of the butterfly it will soon be.


1 comment:

Naomi said...

That is so awesome! The pic makes the caterpillar look so big... M and I can't wait to see them! Thanks for sharing the news!