Saturday, April 18, 2009

Butterfly Season

Every year I try to add more flowers to my yard that will attract butterflies. I enjoy looking out the window and seeing them flutter around the yard as they look for nectar to eat. Last year I ran into a woman who also likes to photograph butterflies. I had a nice chat with her and she shared some tips with me. I decided to take the plunge and give it a try. Why not?

I was really interested in being able to track the Monarch Metamorphosis in my own yard. Alex too, has been very interested and I thought this would be the perfect project for the both of us. We recently bought the milkweed plant. This plant is the plant of choice for the Monarch butterfly, and they only lay their eggs exclusively on these leaves.

Last week we discovered we had 10 butterfly eggs! I quickly took a picture so we could track the progress. Today, I went to show a friend who stopped by, and I discovered that most of them have already hatched. So again, grabbed my camera to get another picture of the next stage: the Caterpillar.

I have enjoyed discovering some very interesting facts about these beautiful insects while preparing for this project. Stay tuned as I will update the progress of our caterpillars as they grow and prepare for their next stage: the Chrysalis!

P.S. Click on the pictures to open in a larger window.


3 comments:

Naomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...

Cool! I didn't know you were growing butterflies in your yard... can we come watch them grow too? M loved seeing the pics you posted!

Jessica said...

Christina!! Thanks for the comment, girl. Did you got all the passport mess cleared up? Have fun in Europe & take lots of pictures! We should grab lunch and talk about our getaways soon. :)