Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Nice Surprise

First of all, I have to say, I have the best neighbors anyone can have. I am so thankful for that. Not only are they kind and friendly, they both are super creative. She can do practically anything relating to sewing (machine or by hand) and he is the same when it comes to wood.

Anyone that knows me knows that a couple of weeks ago I had to get a tree cut down from our property. This was not an old scrappy tree, this was a beautiful Oak tree--mature. We estimated that is was at least 50+years! The tree had two trunks to it and two years ago one of them came down in one of the worst spring storms of 2007. The remaining trunk of the tree was still beautiful and really no one would have ever known that it had previously had another trunk.

The Oak tree was beautiful. The problem was that it was too close to the house, like inches away and most of it hovered over the roof. Being that the root system was already compromised (even though no one could tell) it really was a matter of time before it too was a victim of a Spring storm. Rather than take our chances we had the tree removed. Although this was what needed to be done, I was heart broken. I would have much rather it been a Cedar tree than my beautiful Oak.

Well, today I had a nice surprise. It even moved me to tears. My neighbor came over and presented me with a weed pot. He had salvaged a few pieces of the wood from my Oak tree and from one of the pieces made this beautiful little pot. It is beautiful, just like my tree was. I was definitely surprised. What a thoughtful gesture for him to make. As you can see from the pictures below, the pot is beautiful. It is truly a blessing that someone would take their time and do something like that for others. I told you I had good neighbors!

What would the world be like today, if more of us would do the same? I challenge anyone who reads this to think of something (does not have to be big or expensive) to do for someone unexpected, from the heart just like my neighbor did. I promise you it will make their day in more ways than one.





2 comments:

Christina said...

that is precious!! Just like my maymay!

Christina said...

btw- you are still signed on my computer! So this is really your sister commenting- not you!